Burnaby Seniors' Transportation is an affordable and convenient service providing one-way and return trips for Burnaby residents who need assisted transportation to their medical and dental appointments within Burnaby, Vancouver, New Westminster and the Tri-City area. If cost, mobility or balance are an issue, Burnaby Seniors' Transportation is here to help.
For more information, please contact the Seniors Transportation Manager.
Burnaby Christmas Bureau
CLICK HERE for Client Registration information.
* NOTE: Client Registration has been EXTENDED to Dec.16, 2021. Click above for more details.**
With the ongoing challenges brought on by COVID-19, this year has been difficult for so many in our community. We anticipate as great a need as ever this Christmas season for families, children, at-risk individuals, and seniors with low income.
Ways to help this year
Whether you would like to offer a one-time gift, or establish a lasting relationship with us, your sponsorship will bring much benefit to the community.
*Please click below to view these opportunities to assist us this year:
- Assist our Christmas Bureau and receive community recognition
- Provide a gift hamper to senior(s) in need
- Gifts for children who have families with low income
- Gift suggestions (for new, unwrapped toys/gifts) for our Toy Room
- Volunteer as an Elf, to assist with toy distribution at our Toy Room, or as a volunteer driver to pick up toys from our sponsors and deliver them to the Toy Room. Send your Volunteer Application to: Volunteer@bbyservices.ca
Other ways to help us navigate a challenging Christmas during this ongoing pandemic:
- $$$ Donations -- donate online at www.bbyservices.ca/donate
- or Send a Cheque to: “Burnaby Community Services” to
2055 Rosser Avenue, Burnaby, V5C 0H1
- Or Call (604) 292-3905 and provide your payment details by phone.
- We welcome donations of supplies and resources for our Toy Room, such as: PPE’s, staff support, sanitization products and supplies.
- Host a Toy Drive -- some companies are being innovative and creating “drive through” Toy Drives this year.
- Volunteer your time -- assist us at the Toy Room, drive to collect donated gifts,
**We cannot express enough how appreciative we are and how much we rely on your support. None of our programs would be possible without our donors. Thank you for your compassion towards your neighbours in this community and for your generosity.**
LAST YEAR, with your help, we brought Christmas to over 2,600 people through the Christmas Bureau, including families, children, at-risk individuals, and seniors.
The best gift you can give to your favourite charity is a recurring monthly donation. To help a charity remain sustainable, and strategize effectively, recurring monthly donations are the most beneficial, no matter the amount. Look through the various ways to give here.
We are passionate about assisting those who are struggling and in-need in our community.
Thank you for helping us to make Christmas a bit brighter this holiday season!
Our Christmas Bureau offers brand new gifts for children of Burnaby families with low income, as well as hampers for seniors and at-risk individuals. To find out if you qualify, please read the information below. All applicants must live in Burnaby.
How can I register?
The information below is for REGISTRATION ONLY. When you come in to register, you will be provided with a PICK-UP DATE and TIME in December to come back to the Toy Room. ** You will not be able to pick up any toys on your registration day.
Qualified applicants will receive new toys for their children (16 years & younger). You may qualify if you are:
- a Burnaby family, with low income or receiving income assistance, with children 16 years old or younger
- a Burnaby senior living with low income --> call Kim at (604) 299-5754 to register and for more information
- Working families must have a C-Print for EACH Adult - To obtain one, please call 1-800-959-8281 or 1-800-267-6999. Press * to speak to an Operator, or you can access this online at MyCRA > My Account > Proof of Income > Option C-Print
- If you are on Income Assistance, you need to request a "Release of Information" from your Ministry Office. This will replace the C-Print.
- Recent proof of address - e.g. copy of a home utility bill (hydro, cable, gas, internet or landline phone), banks statement, or Residency/Tenancy agreement dated within 2 months of the application.
- Identification for EACH CHILD - e.g. BC Services Card (this has replaced the CareCard), birth certificate, passport, child tax benefit statement, or Permanent Resident card.
Toy Room LOCATION - Brentwood Town Centre
The location of our toy room changes every year, depending on where we can find space. This year our Toy Room space is located at The Amazing Brentwood -- Brentwood Town Centre is at 4567 Lougheed Highway, off Willingdon Avenue.
We are in the old American Eagle Store on the Main Mall level, near the Scotia Bank. (Please bring us TOYS for our shelves!)
REGISTRATION DATES & TIMES
Client Registration dates -- EXTENDED to Dec.16, 2021 !
Monday - Friday: 10 am to 4 pm Saturday: 10am to 3pm
We will have COVID-19 safety protocols in place during Christmas Bureau registration and toy pick-up. This will include enforcing the BC Ministry of Health guidelines for maintaining physical distancing.
Prior to entering the Toy Room, all visitors will be required to:
- Complete a standard COVID questionnaire
- Have their temperature checked (with a contactless infrared thermometer)
- Disinfect their hands (using hand sanitizer provided)
- Wear a mask at all times on site (we will provide disposable surgical masks)
- Attend alone (only 1 family member can enter and no children will be permitted)
- NOTE: All visitors will be required to show their BC Vaccination Passport with proof of double vaccination.
We look forward to seeing you at our Toy Room this year.
Please take care and stay safe this season!
Help fill the shelves of our toy room! Please bring a NEW & unwrapped toy or gift. Donations may be dropped off at the Toy Room during the hours specified below.
DROP OFF TOYS HERE --
Our Toy Room is at The Amazing Brentwood -- Brentwood Town Centre is located at 4567 Lougheed Highway, off Willingdon Avenue. We are in the old American Eagle Store on the Main Mall level near the Scotia Bank.
Drop off toys Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm, or Saturday 10am to 3pm..
THANK YOU to our generous Corporate Sponsors (we'd be thrilled to have your organization's name here!) --GOLD SPONSORS
Thank you to The Province’s Empty Stocking Fund for their support!
The Burnaby Camping Bureau provides subsidies for Burnaby children from low income households to attend a week of summer day camp. Our subsidies of $100 (maximum) will allow children the opportunity to attend a local camp that their families would otherwise be unable to afford.
To qualify, you must be a resident of Burnaby, have children ages of 5-12yrs, be of low income and have supporting documentation.
The following documents MUST be presented at the time of your appointment:
- A Proof of Income Statement (C-Print) for the year 2021 for BOTH parents (if married/living common law)
- This is a document that is only available if requested through the Canada Revenue Agency (It is NOT your Notice of Assessment)
- To order it from the CRA, call 1.800.267.6999 for automated service, or 1.800.959.8281, press * to speak with an operator. You can also find the document under “Proof of Income Statement” through 'My Accounts' online.
Parents MUST know which local day camp they are sending their child to when they arrive for their appointment, as well as have all the required documentation. Please have several choices of camp programs and dates, as camps fill up their spaces quickly. We will not be able to help you if you don't have a chosen camp or missing information.
To book an appointment or for more information, please call Marney at 604.292.3900
Appointments take place at Burnaby Community Services, 2055 Rosser Ave, Burnaby.
The Burnaby Recreation Credit program provides a credit to Burnaby residents in financial need. The credit system consists of a dollar amount registered in the Burnaby Parks & Recreation computer system under your name. Use the credit to sign up for any Parks and Recreation program or to purchase a punch card or pass for admission to swimming pools, fitness classes, indoor cycling, skating rinks or weight rooms. There are some exceptions such as golf, private lessons and birthday parties.
You must live in Burnaby, be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and fit one of these categories:
- A. Are a low income individual, couple or family. Qualifying amounts are listed on the current Recreation Credit application form.
- B. Individual with Disability Tax Credit Certificate. Qualifying maximum allowable income to qualify is increased by the amount of the Disability Tax Credit.
- C. Receiving financial assistance (welfare) from the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction (MSDPR).
- D. Eligible for or receiving disability assistance from Community Living BC.
- E. Receiving income assistance from Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP).
*Persons do not qualify if interest earned is greater than $100 per adult per year, or if RRSP contributions greater than $1000/family have been made.
Where to get an application form
- Download here
- Burnaby Parks, Recreation and Cultural facilities
- Brentwood Community Resource Centre
- Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction
- Burnaby Community Schools
- Immigrant Services Society of B.C.
- Community Living B.C.
Please read the application carefully and complete it thoroughly. See the back of the application form for details about eligibility, required documentation, and how to apply. For further information about the program, contact Recreation Credit staff at 604-292-3900.
* You may apply for and receive credit once a year. The same application process must be completed each year.Donate to improve access for those with low income to health and wellbeing.
Form and Tax Completion
The Tax Completion program offers assistance with income tax preparation through our participation in the Canada Revenue's CVITP program (the Community Volunteer Income Tax program). During the tax season, March and April, we offer appointments for individuals with low income to drop off their taxes for completion. On a weekly basis, a volunteer tax preparer picks-up, completes, and files these returns.
Form Completion is available by appointment only. We currently are able to assist with Federal Government Programs: Eligibility and assistance with applications for pensions (CPP, OAS, GIS) Provincial Government Programs: Eligibility and assistance with application for programs such as bus passes, MSP and Fair PharmaCare card applications. As well, we assist with filling out government card replacement applications.
For more information, please contact our Poverty Law Advocate at Jesse@bbyservices.ca.