Burnaby Seniors' Transportation is an affordable and convenient service providing one-way and return trips for Burnaby residents who need assisted transportation to their medical and dental appointments within Burnaby, Vancouver, New Westminster and the Tri-City area. If cost, mobility or balance are an issue, Burnaby Seniors' Transportation is here to help.
For more information, please contact the Seniors Transportation Manager.
PLEASE NOTE: The information below is from our 2022 Burnaby Christmas Bureau
and remains here for reference.
Stay tuned for information regarding our 2023 Burnaby Christmas Bureau!!
(we hope to provide these updates by late September/early October 2023)
Burnaby Christmas Bureau
CLICK HERE for Client Registration information.
CLICK HERE for Printable Applicant Registration information.
* NOTE: Client Registration is from November 1 to December 3, 2022. [Registration extended to December 15th!]
Click above for more details.**
Times are challenging for so many in our community. We anticipate as great a need as ever this Christmas season for families, children, at-risk individuals, and seniors with low income.
Ways to help this year
Whether you would like to offer a one-time gift, or establish a lasting relationship with us, your sponsorship will bring much benefit to the community.
*Please click below to view these opportunities to assist us this year:
- Assist our Burnaby Christmas Bureau and receive community recognition
- Provide a gift hamper to senior(s) in need
- Gifts for children who have families with low income
- Gift suggestions (for new, unwrapped toys/gifts) for our Toy Room
- Volunteer as an Elf, to assist with toy distribution at our Toy Room, or as a volunteer driver to pick up toys from our sponsors and deliver them to the Toy Room. Send your Volunteer Application to: Volunteer@bbyservices.ca
Other ways to help us navigate a challenging Christmas during this ongoing pandemic:
- $$$ Donations -- donate online at www.bbyservices.ca/donate
- or Send a Cheque to: “Burnaby Community Services” to
2055 Rosser Avenue, Burnaby, V5C 0H1
- Or Call (604) 292-3902 and provide your payment details by phone.
- We welcome donations of supplies and resources for our Toy Room, such as: PPE’s, staff support, sanitization products and supplies.
- Host a Toy Drive -- some companies are being innovative and creating “drive through” Toy Drives this year.
- Volunteer your time -- assist us at the Toy Room, drive to collect donated gifts,
**We cannot express enough how appreciative we are and how much we rely on your support. None of our programs would be possible without our donors. Thank you for your compassion towards your neighbours in this community and for your generosity.**
LAST YEAR, with your help, we brought Christmas to over 2,600 people through the Christmas Bureau, including families, children, at-risk individuals, and seniors.
The best gift you can give to your favourite charity is a recurring monthly donation. To help a charity remain sustainable, and strategize effectively, recurring monthly donations are the most beneficial, no matter the amount. Look through the various ways to give here.
We are passionate about assisting those who are struggling and in-need in our community.
Thank you for helping us to make Christmas a bit brighter this holiday season!
Information for DONORS (individuals & companies)
Help fill the shelves of our toy room! Please bring a NEW & unwrapped toy or gift. Donations may be dropped off at the Toy Room during the hours specified below.
DROP OFF TOYS HERE --
Our Toy Room is at The Amazing Brentwood -- Brentwood Town Centre is located at 4567 Lougheed Highway, off Willingdon Avenue. We are in the old Sears Store on the Main Mall level near the Children's Play Area.
Drop off toys Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm, or Saturday 10am to 3pm..
Our heartful THANKS to Teamsters Local 31 and Local 155 for delivering a big truck of donated gifts to the Toy Room! (Video)
THANK YOU to our generous Corporate Sponsors!
And a big Thank You to The Province’s Empty Stocking Fund for their support
Information for CLIENTS
Our Christmas Bureau offers brand new gifts for children of Burnaby families with low income, as well as hampers for seniors and at-risk individuals. To find out if you qualify, please read the information below. All applicants must live in Burnaby.
How can I register?
The information below is for REGISTRATION ONLY. When you come in to register, you will be provided with a PICK-UP DATE and TIME in December to come back to the Toy Room to select your children's gifts. ** NOTE: You will not be able to pick up any toys on your registration day.
Qualified applicants will receive new toys for their children (16 years & younger). You may qualify if you are:
- a Burnaby family, with low income or receiving income assistance, with children 16 years old or younger
- a Burnaby senior living with low income --> call Kim at (604) 299-5754 to register and for more information
- Working families must have a Proof of Income Statement (also known as a C-Print) for EACH Adult - To obtain one, please call 1-800-959-8281 and Press * to speak to an Operator. Or, for an automated service, call 1-800-267-6999. You can also access your Proof of Income Statement online at: CRA My Account > My Account for Individuals > Sign In > Tax Returns > Proof of Income Statement (this is the C-Print doc)
- If you are on Income Assistance, you need to request a "Release of Information" from your Ministry Office. This will replace the Proof of Income Statement.
- Recent proof of address - e.g. copy of a home utility bill (hydro, cable, gas, internet or landline phone), bank statement, or Residency/Tenancy agreement dated within 2 months of the application.
- Identification for EACH CHILD - e.g. BC Services Card (this has replaced the CareCard), birth certificate, passport, child tax benefit statement, or Permanent Resident card. * Questions about the registration process? Call Marney at (604) 292-3900.
Toy Room LOCATION - Brentwood Town Centre
The location of our toy room changes every year, depending on where we can find space. This year our Toy Room space is located at The Amazing Brentwood -- Brentwood Town Centre is at 4567 Lougheed Highway, off Willingdon Avenue.
We are in the old Sears Store on the Main Mall level, near the Children's Play Area (Please bring us TOYS for our shelves!)
REGISTRATION DATES & TIMES
Client Registration dates -- from November 1 to December 3, 2022 [Registration now extended to December 15th!]
Monday - Friday: 10 am to 4 pm
Saturday: 10am to 3pm
(Registration will not be available on November 11th - Remembrance Day)
Infectious Diseases Safety Protocols
We will have safety protocols in place during Christmas Bureau registration and toy pick-up. This will include enforcing BC Ministry of Health guidelines.
Prior to entering the Toy Room, all visitors will be required to:
- Disinfect their hands (using hand sanitizer provided)
- Wear a mask at all times on site (we will provide disposable surgical masks)
We look forward to seeing you at our Toy Room this year.
Please take care and stay safe this season!
The BURNABY CHRISTMAS BUREAU provides Christmas cheer to people with low income and living in Burnaby through our Toy Room and Seniors Hamper Program. This continues to be challenging times for many people and we are anticipating great need again for families with children, and seniors with low income. There are several ways to participate.
- Join us as a donor or volunteer and make a difference this Christmas season.
- For families in need, register with us to select new toys for your children ages newborn - 16yrs. Click here for details and print the registration information sheet here.
- For seniors living with low income, register to receive a Christmas hamper. Click here for details and an application form.
Donate Or Volunteer
Last year, with the help of our donors and volunteers, we brightened the season for over 3150 people in need through the Burnaby Christmas Bureau. There are many ways that you can contribute. Let’s work hand-in-hand and help make Christmas joyful this holiday season!
|1||Donate as a Corporate Sponsor and receive community recognition [Application Form]|
|2||Sponsor a Senior's Gift Hamper [Application Form]|
|3||Run an Angel Toy Drive for children [Application Form]|
Bring New & Unwrapped toys/gifts/books to our Toy Room
|5||Make or set up a One-time or Recurring Monthly Donation online here.|
|6||Mail or drop a Cheque payable to Burnaby Community Services at 2055 Rosser Avenue, Burnaby, V5C 0H1. Cheques can also be dropped off at our Toy Room during operating hours.|
|7||Call (604) 292-3902 and provide your Credit Card details by phone|
|8||Be a Toy Room Elf and assist with toy distribution on scheduled dates in Dec [Email the Application Form to firstname.lastname@example.org]|
|9||Be a Volunteer Driver to pick up toys from donors and deliver them to the Toy Room in Dec [Email the Application Form to email@example.com]|
Date: Nov 1 to Dec 9, 2023 (Closed on Sun and on Statutory Holiday Mon Nov 13th)
Time: Mon-Fri 10 am-4 pm; Sat 10 am - 3 pm [Close for lunch from 12:30-1 pm]
Location: The Amazing Brentwood, 4567 Lougheed Hwy, Old Sears Store, Main mall level, next to Children’s Play Area [Direction & Location Map]
|Am I qualified?|
|How to register?|
|How and when to pick up toys?|
|Are there infectious disease safety protocols?|
The Burnaby Recreation Credit program provides a credit to Burnaby residents in financial need. The credit system consists of a dollar amount registered in the Burnaby Parks & Recreation computer system under your name. Use the credit to sign up for any Parks and Recreation program or to purchase a punch card or pass for admission to swimming pools, fitness classes, indoor cycling, skating rinks or weight rooms. There are some exceptions such as golf, private lessons and birthday parties.
You must live in Burnaby, be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and fit one of these categories:
- A. Are an individual, couple or family with low income, as indicated by LICO figures. Qualifying amounts are listed on the current Recreation Credit application form.
- B. Individual with Disability Tax Credit Certificate. Qualifying maximum allowable income to qualify is increased by the amount of the Disability Tax Credit.
- C. Receiving financial assistance (welfare) from the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction (MSDPR).
- D. Eligible for or receiving disability assistance from Community Living BC.
- E. Receiving income assistance from Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP).
- F. Privately sponsored refugees or newcomers arriving through the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) must use the alternate form.
*Persons do not qualify if interest earned is greater than $1000 per adult per year, or if RRSP contributions greater than $1000 per family have been made.
Where to get an application form
- Download here; Privately Sponsored Refugees or Canada-Ukraine Authorization Emergency Travel (CUAET) applicants please download here.
- Burnaby Parks, Recreation and Cultural facilities
- Brentwood Community Resource Centre
- Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction
- Burnaby Community Schools
- Immigrant Services Society of B.C.
- Community Living B.C.
Please read the application carefully and complete it thoroughly. See the back of the application form for details about eligibility, required documentation, and how to apply. For further information about the program, contact Recreation Credit staff at 604.292.3900.
* You may apply for and receive credit once a year. The same application process must be completed each year.Donate to improve access for those with low income to health and wellbeing.
Form and Tax Completion
The Tax Completion program offers assistance with income tax preparation through our participation in the Canada Revenue's CVITP program (the Community Volunteer Income Tax program). During the tax season, March and April each year, we offer appointments for individuals with low income to have their income tax completion done by volunteer tax preparers. Please click on the link here and submit a pre-screening booking form to determine your eligibility for the income tax program.
Form Completion is available by appointment only. We currently are able to assist with Federal Government Programs: Eligibility and assistance with applications for pensions (CPP, OAS, GIS) Provincial Government Programs: Eligibility and assistance with application for programs such as bus passes, MSP and Fair PharmaCare card applications. As well, we assist with filling out government card replacement applications.
Legal Advocacy Program
Burnaby Community Services provides legal information and assistance to residents of Burnaby living with low incomes, mental or physical disabilities or experiencing difficulties accessing legal services.
For more information, please click here